Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mary Mary Quite Contrary


Ok, so my name is not Mary and I really don't consider myself contrary(of course I am sure there are people who would argue this point.) But my garden is growing very well. I am a fairly new gardener and every time I plant something I cross my fingers and hope it will grow. This is my first year planting herbs and I really wanted to make sure that when I used them that I would still have plants so I planted a lot in each pot. Well ...They are already bursting out of their pots! This is a good thing BUT...Now I have to repot. Again this is a cross my fingers thing and hope I don't kill them. So this morning I repotted almost all of them. Basil and Cilantro are my two favorites so I planted them the thickest. I was able to make 2 good sized pots out of each of them. The rosemary is a beautiful plant and I put it in a bigger Pot. If my new deck ever gets built I am going to plant rosemary as bushes I have a friend who says you can't kill them (good choice for me) and they do well as bushes. The savory, which I planted just because it sounded good is growing very tall and lanky and I noticed its starting to get little purple flowers on it. I am not sure what to do with this particular herb that I seem to have an abundance of so if anyone has any ideas or recipes that use it please share them with me . The only thing that does not seem to be thriving is the sage. Its healthy looking but not getting much bigger. If I use more than a leaf or two of it I will not have much of a plant left. I am hoping all of my babies do well and I am not back to buy my herbs at the grocery store in a few weeks.

4 comments:

aficionado said...

I love herb gardens. I have never had any luck with them. I once planted a little lemon verbena and it took over my yard. Every time I mowed it smelled like fresh lemons. Not such a bad side effect! I am also reading a few different books from a juvinile collection. Stuff that I never read as a kid. Miss mary mary quite contrary is the one that I am reading right now. I had no idea that the phrase came from "the secret garden" How do these things escape me? Anyways, great pictures.

to2sassy said...

WHOO HOO finally a commmet!! I was beginning to feel so unloved. I thought it came from the nursery rhyme...or did the nursery rhyme come from the book? I don't know I have not read it myself. Thanks for the comment. Hope the baby is feeling better

aficionado said...

Ms. Sassy, where have you been?????????? More posting please. I'm getting bored!!!!!

to2sassy said...

no time to cook lately but hang in there I am off work this weekend I will post something I promise!!