Friday, May 23, 2008

Retro-Style Chicken Casserole








Before you look at this recipe I want to assure you that I have not been brainwashed by Sandra Lee (Queen of short-cut cooking and being irritating). No, this recipe I got from Sandra Sue...AKA my Mother. This is a quintessential 1970s working mother's recipe. It's quick, easy, filling and tasty.

As a "foodie" I should be quite ashamed at posting this recipe I mean really, cream of mushroom soup? Processed CHEESE PRODUCT? Do you really consider this cooking? Well, depending on your definition maybe, maybe not but it was dinner on our table that I enjoyed eating so really, who cares? I also happen to harbor a deep affection for Velveta which makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches which I fondly refer to as Molten Lava Grilled cheese. Foodie snobs be damned, THIS is Yummy!

Molten Lava Chicken Casserole
(4-6 servings)

8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup frozen baby peas
1 cup cooked chicken cubed or shredded
6 oz Velveta cheese cubed.
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chicken broth

Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain, mix with remaining ingredients. Place in a medium sized (8x8ish) casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Microwave on high until cheese is melted through out (5-10 minutes) stirring once or twice during cooking.

Notes: I used lowfat cheese and fat free mushroom soup with great results. (Every little bit helps)
My mom (and actually I have been known to also) often used a can of chicken drained (similar to tuna which could also be substitued
You could bake this for about 15-20 mins in a 350 degree oven. In which case you could also top with some crushed cornflakes, breadcrumbs or if you REALLY wanted to go Retro crushed potato chips

No comments: